Backup deck when shooting features--MacDV Digest #2198

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Wed May 28 09:09:44 PDT 2003

> From: "Macintosh Digital Video List" <MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 05:28:50 -0700
> To: "Macintosh Digital Video List" <MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Subject: MacDV Digest #2198
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 03:16:43 -0400
> Subject: [MacDV] Re: Canon XL1-nightmare-followup-MacDV Digest #2197
> From: Matthew Guemple <mo.og at verizon.net>
>
> Isn't this kind of thing SOP?
> Like video assist on a film shoot... except it's coming right off the
> record head? Can't you just run a line to a PB or something to make
> sure you are getting what you are getting?
>
> On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 02:19 AM, Ted Langdell wrote:
>
>> Maybe we ought to start budgeting for a longer firewire cable and a
>> backup
>> deck (DSR-11 on 12 volt batteries?) when shooting features?
>
> ________________
> Matthew Guemple

No, its not standard operating procedure.  Most of the time, there's neither
budget or time.

In the stuff I shoot most of the time, it's get the camera in place, check
sound, framing, walk through it once, and then, "ACTION!"

The extra cabling, and requirement for someone to roll or stop the deck adds
another level of complexity and expense to the shoot that might not be
possible to accomodate.

There ARE now several hard-drive products that will connect to a camcorder
via firewire, and track the "record" and "pause" instructions, but they
don't hold that much time. And there's the expense of the unit(s).

A cleaning tape isn't very expensive, on the other hand... and checking the
recording in the VCR mode every so often is akin to the assistant camera
person on a feature film shoot opening the camera between takes to check to
see whether there's a hair in the gate.  When found, its removed and the
appropriate people advised so that a retake can be done if needed.

Ted.