[MacDV] Progressive Scan and iMovie

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Fri May 30 06:42:03 PDT 2003

Steve Robertson wrote:

> I just acquired a used Sony TRV900, which gives me a choice between
> recording in interlaced or progressive scan modes. The manual seems to
> be suggesting that- if you are planning to edit your video on a
> computer- the progressive scan mode will increase the quality. Is this
> the best course when editing with iMovie or other video editing
> software for the Mac?

Progressive scan on a 900 is cool. But it comes out like an effect. A
cool effect.
The look should remain even through the various conversions.
In progressive each frame is clearer but some smoothness of motion is
sacrificed .
It is almost filmlike and stroby .  Like the Big fight scene in "Gladiator"
They recccomend it for shootiong sports. And for snapping stills.
But it is not necessary and may be distracting depending on your scene.

> If you burn a DVD using this footage, is it converted to interlaced?

It might be but it would still look the same.
Jim  TRV900 owner