[MacDV] Re: question about which G4 to buy for digital vido

gail weisman gweisman2 at attbi.com
Sat May 31 13:39:58 PDT 2003

thanks jim, appreciate your speedy response! more answers for you:

> How much can you fford?
well, it would be a montly payment if i'm leasing; if i kept my
old sony 17" monitor and just got the G4 it would be $60 or 70 a month
i could afford that, maybe a little more.

How fast d you need to work?
well, i know how much large files eat up time and ram and hd space using
photoshop, i can only imagine how working with audio and video could get
tediously slow if the machine wasn't fast enough. i don't need to work at
superpseed or anything, but i don't want to have to wait hours to do effects
or anything i would do while editing and producing short documentaries
(that's my goal).

> processors work with your fav app?
> Do you need a Superdrive?

i don't think i need a superdrive, for the time being i'm not sure i need to
press DVDs; i would like to burn CDs for music though. do i need the
superdrive to do that?

as far as apps, i have OLD versions of all pirated software (shhh, don't
call the software police) so i'm bummin out there. i'm going to have to find
some sources because i can't afford $1000 for the new photoshop, another
$1000 for final cut pro, etc., etc,    i'm an unemployed graphic designer
with a temp job, some savings and a good credit rating, but i'm not loaded
or anything (plus i live in the SF bay area which is ridiculously
expensive).

thx,