[MacDV] Re: Re making a cross platform dvd

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Tue Nov 18 11:32:28 PST 2003

On Tuesday, November 18, 2003, at 09:46  PM, cathal mc carthy wrote:

> thanks Jim
>  The dvd I burned on a mac will not play on a dell pc running win xp.
> What software should the pc have installed on it to play a dvd made on
> a  mac
> what is the solution?
> Could this be put with the dvd in order that pc users could play same
> the dvd.
> Thanks so much for the help

  If Xp is as good as OSX(Chuckle) then it's DVD player software should
pop up when a DVD is inserted.
  So somebody has to determine what sort of DVD deck is in that machine,
whether it supports DVD playback and whether the payer software is
installed.
   Then you have the additional problems of the basic compatability of
DVD's across the spectrum of media and player brands.
  So put it in a living room player and see if it works.
Burn to another brand of DVD-R for your XP users.
Or some combination of above.
  Always let iDVD finish it's Mpeg2(where it gets smaller) conversion
before inserting and burning your disk.
PC, living room or Mac a DVD should be a DVD. You play it with a DVD
player (hardware or software)
Jim