[MacDV] Re: Re making a cross platform dvd

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Tue Nov 18 16:34:47 PST 2003

On Wednesday, November 19, 2003, at 12:14  AM, cathal mc carthy wrote:

> Thanks so much folks
> I am slowly getting to the bottom of it
> Here is what I am 100% sure of
> a dvd made with idvd and apple dvd-r will not play on a brand new dell
> pc  with win xp  with a dvd rom in it.

Does it CLAIM to be able to play a DVD?

> It won't play on an older dell pc with win 98 on it either.  It can't
> read the bup.ts folders at al

When you play a DVD , unless it is on your Hrd drive you just pllay it
you don't go navigating the foders.
In any case the folders should just say  Video-TS and Audio-TS

> l and wants to go searching for it on the net These machines do not
> seem to have the necessary dvd software to play the mac burned dvds.

Maybe they don't play DVD's at all.

> I have found though that both machines will play a quicktime version
> burned to with roxio onto a video cd however-lower res however.

Completely different story. Try to get it that DVD's are a different
animal altogether.

> My next step is to try an idvd version with roxio 5 in the dvd
> selection.

Toast is only for COPYING  DVD's in 5xx. Complete waste of time.

> It just seems that in pcs while they all practically will have
> quicktime very few seem to have the dvd software to play a mac made
> dvd which is a real pity as the idvd themes are so nice!

Got NOTHING to do with QuickTime or Mac v PC.
Put your DVD in a PS2 and see if it plays.