[MacDV] Re: Panasonic PV-GS70 camcorder

Juan Mariscal juanm at mac.com
Sat Nov 22 06:32:42 PST 2003

Norm

re; using a video camera as a still camera.

keep in mind that virtually all digital video camera will produce low
resolution still photos.

 From what I read on Panasonic's page for the specs of the camera you
are looking at, this camera will produce a produce a photo of 1.2
megapixels. That is not very high quality AND it seems by the footnotes
on this spec that some digital hocus pocus may be involved to get you
that quality image.

  If you ONLY intention is to use these photos for insertion into
video's then that will be fine at 72 dpi. But you will NOT be able to
produce a good and crisp 5 x 7 photo. A 4 x 6 photo will be OK, though.
If you need to crop your photo which I almost always do, you will not
be working from the whole image and the amount of megapixels you
started with become even more important since you are only printing a
portion of the image (http://www.digital-camera-review.us/pixels.html)

A $200 still 2.0 megapixel digital camera will produce much better
quality stills that the panasonic Video camera

Don't expect to get two high quality cameras in one.

Perhaps others have a differing opinion.
Again it depends on what you will do with the resutling photo
especially if you want to print it.

my 2 cents. good luck

Juan