[MacDV] Re: Panasonic PV-GS70 camcorder

Ryan Sutter vioman at nucleargopher.com
Thu Nov 27 08:49:57 PST 2003

Now more than a week into my GS70 with Mac OSX adventure and I have
nothing but good news to report where video is concerned.  So far it
works perfectly.  I have transferred some old VHS videos to Mini-DV,
imported them into FCP (iMovie works great with it as well), edited
them and exported them and there were no glitches or gotchas.  I have
shot some footage and the image quality (especially the colors) is
fabulous.  You can do some really nice things with the manual controls
they provide as well.  The electronic image stabilization is lousy, but
I've only seen better image quality on a Canon XL-1 and the

The still image import definitely does not work.  The Mac doesn't
recognize that there is a camera connected at all.  I would think there
are two workaround for this.  One, record stills to tape instead of to
the memory card and then import them using iMovie or FCP and export
stills from there (kind of a pain) or two, buy a USB SD card reader and
read the card that way.  Either way, it's not much of a problem in my
mind.

Panasonic told you it wasn't designed for Mac OSX because they don't
"officially" support it, they don't provide Mac video editing software
in the box and the still photo doesn't work directly with Mac.  That
doesn't mean that you can't use it with your Mac running OSX.  It works
great.  Provide your own video editor and buy an SD card reader if
that's important to you and you are golden.

Ryan