[MacDV] Re: NTSC output for G5

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 3 16:33:23 PDT 2003

At 11:27 AM +1200 10/4/03, Neville Thomas wrote:

>>>Erica, you ought to write a book. None of that has ever occurred to me.
>>>
>>>Carter
>>
>>Sigh.
>>
>>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782141986
>>
>>-- Erica
>>
>They won't ship to New Zealand!
>Sigh!

How annoying. For some reason, my books cost twice
as much and are 10x harder to get in NZ/Australia,
which (considering my deep devotion to all things
Region 4) is entirely unfair.

I know that the distribution is better in Britain
because I just found a very  nice review the other day.

I include the review below my signature.

-- Erica

Telecomworldwire, March 27, 2003 pNA

REVIEW: Digital Video Essentials: Shoot, Transfer, Edit, Share. (by
Erica Sadun)(Book Review)_(book review)

Full Text: COPYRIGHT 2003 M2 Communications Ltd.

TELECOMWORLDWIRE-27 March 2003-REVIEW: Digital Video Essentials:
Shoot, Transfer, Edit, Share(C)1994-2003 M2 COMMUNICATIONS LTD
http://www.m2.com

The brave new world of digital video is fast becoming a consumer
phenomenon. Prices of equipment and software are dropping quickly and
more and more people are becoming aware of the functionality which a
video camera and a piece of video editing software can offer. And a
bit of imagination as well, of course.

However, the whole process is actually quite complicated and doesn't
fall into one easy-to-digest category. Within the whole umbrella
subject of digital video creation you have to choose the equipment -
from cameras and filters through to PCs/Mac and software - choose
settings and angles, learn how to use the camera, learn about sound,
sound effects and dubbing, and muddle your way through the whole
editing process. All of the time you'll be hitting a steep learning
curve as you get used the individual features of all of this amazing
new kit you've just purchased.

Erica Sadun has done a fantastic job of bringing together this mixed
bag of topics and converging them into one simple book. It's not big
and it doesn't include masses of fancy colour photography: instead it
opts for simplicity and generalism. Where Sadun could have gone into
great detail about the wonders of a particular camera, instead she
gives you individual details to look for when you are selecting one.
She goes into the pros and cons of everything from picture quality,
sound quality and the differences between analogue and digital.

The photography and imagery that is used is placed so that direct
comparisons can instantly be made and they never take up more space
than they need to.

The best aspect of this book however is the large swathes of text
given over to ensuring that you get the most from the actual
production process. This would be generic to almost any equipment
from the latest high-end digital Canon unit down to a lowly analogue
camcorder. These principals of video production (planning, setting
the scene, scripting, focussing, angles, etc.) would be applicable no
matter what kind of equipment you had. Ideas are put forward for the
different types of movie you might be putting together and finally
you are given a good grounding in what kinds of media are available
for distributing the finished product.

At the end of each chapter is a brief recap of the information taken
onboard over the last few pages and at the end of the book you'll
find an invaluable glossary of terms and the index.

To top this off all of the video examples in the book are on a CD
which accompanies it. This along with the many software packages
(many are demo versions) make this an excellent starter kit for the
newcomer to the world of digital video.

CONCLUSION: Just about faultless. Not technical enough for the
experienced digital video hack but an absolute must for the rest of
us.

Title: Digital Video Essentials: Shoot, Transfer, Edit, ShareAuthor:
Erica SadunPublished by: SybexISBN: 0-7821-4198-6Price:
GBP22.99Reviewer: Jamie Ayres

This book was provided for review by Computer Manuals
(http://www.computer-manuals.co.uk).

((Comments on this story may be sent to tww.feedback at m2.com))

Named Works: Digital Video Essentials: Shoot, Transfer, Edit, Share
(Book) - Reviews