[MacDV] Re: Avid FreeDV software

Ryan Sutter ryan at ryansutter.net
Wed Oct 8 11:56:33 PDT 2003

Mea culpa.  You're right.  I had forgotten that.  Of course, the price
differential of $299 over FreeDV still needs to be considered.  That's
not expensive to those of us who are used to spending decent amounts of
money on software, but it's definitely a factor for the consumer iMovie
user.   Apple doesn't offer a free compositing NLE.  Avid does.  Some
people are going to be very happy about that.

On the other hand, iMovie wins hands down for ease of use over Avid, so
for the majority of consumer-level editing projects it would be the
free app of choice.  All I'm saying is that having another option in
the $0 price range is a good thing and saying "that's junk, use this
$1000 (or even $300) piece of software instead" is kind of missing the
whole point of what FreeDV offers.  It does bring something new to the
free editing space.  I could even see somebody using iMovie as their
introduction to editing, then using FreeDV to learn more advanced
editing concepts and compositing, then stepping up to FCP Express as an
entry level into even more advanced editing and finally stepping up to
FCP.  I think that having a free app that has more advanced concepts
and features in it than iMovie is valuable as a learning tool
regardless.

All that said, I highly doubt that it will serve as a point of entry to
getting people to purchase more expensive offerings from Avid.  Those
just don't seem to compete well with FCP when it comes to "bang for
buck".  I'm not sure what Avid will get out of it, but entry-level
editing aficionados will get a free tool that stretches their
capabilities and lets them learn.  Why rip that?

Ryan