[MacDV] iMovie to FCP or FPE

Daniel Beck danielbeck at mac.com
Thu Oct 9 16:28:39 PDT 2003

On Friday, October 10, 2003, at 08:12 AM, David Thrasher wrote:

> In the discussions about that new software Avid FreeDV it was
> mentioned that moving from iMovie to Final Cut Pro or Express would be
> easier than learning FreeDV. Since this may be a path for me
> eventually, I wanted to find out just how different using Final Cut is
> from using iMovie. I'm just talking about the things you can do in
> either so I have some idea how steep the learning curve is. Thanks.

Final Cut is a bit different from iMovie. It is harder initially.
However, if you don't try to learn every way to do every task (FC has
several ways to skin a cat), once you get used to how things work, it
requires less work arounds than iMovie, and is in this sense "easier".
Anyway, don't be afraid to make the plunge. I just recommend you get
one of Michael Rubin's books to get you started, because he only tries
to show you one way to do each thing, so you can get the feel of how
things work, and then can move on to other books or learning methods,
to do the more complex stuff.

For the page on Amazon for his Final Cut Pro book, click here:
http://tinyurl.com/qdvm

For the Final Cut Express book, click here:
http://tinyurl.com/qdvr

His website is found here:
http://www.nonlinear4.com/

Daniel