[MacDV] Re: Hard drives

Darby Lee Darrow darrowspammagnet at cox.net
Mon Oct 13 20:34:11 PDT 2003

>On Tuesday, October 14, 2003, at 07:45 AM, Spud0812 at aol.com wrote:
>
>>Can anyone recommend a good FW hard drive? Im having nothing but problems
>>with my LaCie drives....something easy to use, dependable, plug and play?
>>thanks!
>
>Other World Computing has good drives and good service:
>http://eshop.macsales.com/

I have to take issue with both aspects of the above statement. Here
is my story:

OWC Problem

I ordered a FW Drive from them OWC, but Retrospect would not back up
to it claiming it to be "bad media" and Disk Warrior would not
rebuild the directory. I have another FW disk which does allow
Retrospect and Disk Warrior to work. I also tried Retrospect and the
OWC hard drive with a different computer and got the same results.

I tried for almost 3 weeks, via email and phone to get a RMA from
OWC. I finally got one and sent it back with the specific problems.
OWC told me that they would specifically check the drive with
Retrospect and Disk Warrior. They reformatted the disk and sent it
back to me ignoring the Retrospect and Disk Warrior issue.

When I finally got ahold of a service Rep Eric I told him that I
wanted my money back. He told me that they would send me a new drive.
I sent the old one back and they once again just reformatted the old
one and sent it back.

I once again told them that I wanted my money back, but they told me
that they had a 30 day money back policy, even though the majority of
the 6 weeks was due to their lack of service and false promises, they
refused to refund my money.

I have seen many people talk about how much they like buying from
OWC, but I would never buy from them again. YMMV.
--

Darby Lee Darrow
darrowspammagnet at cox.net