[MacDV] Video Disc capture and creation help?

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 14 17:37:57 PDT 2003

At 7:05 PM -0400 10/14/03, Dr. M. Burek wrote:
>OK, guys... I got a problem here.
>
>I'm trying to capture and otherwise do what I need to to make a
>SuperVCD or a DVD from VHS tape. I am trying to capture 1 hour TV
>shows to archive to disc, as many of my VHS tapes are now getting to
>the age where disintegration of the tape will soon become an issue.

Advice: Don't archive to disc. Make copies on disc, sure.
But don't archive. If you want good quality archives 20
years from now, go to miniDV instead. It's digital and
you can keep making copies as the tapes age without
generation loss.

DVDs? They're so compressed that you're sacrificing
the future for the coolness of the present.

-- Erica