[MacDV] Re: Hard drives

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Oct 15 06:01:39 PDT 2003

<Regarding several posts about PowerBook drives not working in an
external enclosure off FireWire power.>

I have to say the problem most likely isn't the enclosure. If the drive
takes more power than the FireWire bus can deliver, no enclosure will
work without an external power source. These enclosures are just that,
an enclosure with a couple plugs'n cables.

To make it work, you really need to know how much power the drive
requires and compare that to how much power your computer's FW bus
supplies. Keep track of any other devices which may be drawing power
from the FW bus as well (i.e. an iPod). I really don't know for sure,
but my impression was that some portables didn't supply any power via
the FW bus and some supplied only a limited amount.

-Mike