Play-through SVCDs?

David Thrasher idave at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 28 16:05:17 PST 2003

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how to make SVCDs that will simply play when you press play on your stand-alone DVD player's remote?

Here's how I'm making them right now:

I export a full quality Quicktime Movie file from iMovie 2 and use Quicktime Pro to export an AIFF audio file from the mov file. I move these two files over to the OS X desktop and then reboot into OS X.

I use MissingMpegTools to create an MPV file using the mov file and a MP2 file from the AIFF file.

I continue under the next tab in the program to Mux the MPV and MP2 files together into a Mpeg-2 file. (I've already created a black still Mpeg for the menu.)

I use Missing Menu Generator with the Mpegs I've created to create the menu (the play order of the files; where it will take you if you hit previous, next or return; which file is the menu file that plays when you first hit play). This creates an XML file that is used for the final files for burning.

Back in MissingMpegTools I go to the last tab and select the XML file to go ahead and build the files for the SVCD.

I delete the files ending in "pregap" and "toc" and put the rest of them on the OS 9 desktop. (I don't have a version of Toast that runs in 10).

I reboot in 9 and run Toast and go under Other to "Multitrack CD-ROM XA" and then drop the files I've created into the window in numeric order (the file ending with 1 first, 2 second, etc.) and then burn my CD. And of course I put it in my DVD player and test it.

The thing I'm wondering is if the Missing Menu Generator program can set up the file(s) so that when you hit play on your remote that it doesn't stop on the first file but rather just starts playing through.

-Dave