[MacDV] Re: NTSC miniDV camcorder in France...

YangZone at aol.com YangZone at aol.com
Wed Sep 3 02:44:26 PDT 2003

And if you are still confounded by the differing standards 'can go a bit deeper and look back to the first Guggenheims who bought up all the copper mines in the US and South America. There was a lot of copper available to the US. So when electricity came along good general purpose power transmission was attained by either running 110 volts through thick copper wires or 220 volts through half that thickness. The US had enough copper to go with the relatively safe 110 volts. Europe had not got the copper reserves to go with 110 volts. So Europe opted for the more dangerous but doable 220 volts. Now standards were split.

The US decided to generate AC at 60 Hz maybe because it simplified winding ratios in the motors of electric clocks (60Hz/60 seconds). Metric-centric Europe went with generating at 50Hz. Another important split in standards.

Now this second split may be the cause of the fps selection (PAL v's NTSC). Also because video was being used indoors under artificial lighting, with AC at 60 Hz, (as described previously) in the USA it was a good idea to go with 30 fps in order to avoid phase problems.  In Europe it made sense to select 25 fps for the same reason.

Something like that.

PJ