Updating iDVD3 to 3.0.1

Ian Tucker carlian at picknowl.com.au
Fri Sep 5 01:49:27 PDT 2003

> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:56:11 +0930, Ian Tucker
> <carlian at picknowl.com.au> wrote:
>> 1. Despite having iMovie and iDVD Appns loaded onto my computer ,
>> Software Updater never shows available updates for these .  Is there
>> any way I can get them included?
>>
>> 2. On checking the Apple web site today I noted there was an update
>> for
>> 1DVD 3.0  to 3.0.1.  I downloaded this, but I cannot get it to update
>> ie. I get as far as the "destination" disc window which shows red stop
>> signs with exclamation marks  on both my main Hard Drive as well as
>> the
>> second HD and if I click onto the either of these HD's I get the
>> message,  " You cannot install this Software on this Disk.  The iDVD
>> Application was not found in the iDVD 3 Folder, within the
>> Applications
>> Folder of this Volume."
>>
>> I have tried altering the names of the iDVD Appn. folder and the
>> actual
>> Appn within  from iDVD to iDVD 3, or iDVD 3.0, but with no joy.   I
>> seem to have everything in the right places.
>>
>> I am using a G4 with OS X 10.2.6 and the iDVD Appn was installed from
>> the "iLife" DVD package.   Prior to using the iLife DVD and following
>> suggestion made on the List,  I hived off iMovie 2 into its own folder
>> and this caused a couple of hic-cups with carrying out updates for
>> iMovie 3, but I fixed that issue with retitling 1Movie 3 as required.
>> As far as I can recall I have not previously interfered with the iDVD
>> folder title, or the actual Application within.

Gordon Alley responded :-

> Here are the paths to those applications on my iMac. I haven't had
> any problems updating them, and I haven't moved them. Note that
> the.app extensions normally aren't visible, but you can use Get Info
> and check the Name & Extension box to make sure it matches.
>
> /Applications/iDVD 3/iDVD.app
> /Applications/iMovie.app

I would like to thank both Winston and Gordon for replying to my above
queries.   The first part remains unresolved, however Gordon's
suggestion has fixed the iDVD 3 update.  I found there was a space
between the second "D" in iDVD and ".app".   Once I removed this the
update proceeded without a hitch.   How the space got there is anyone's
guess , but it does demonstrate how exacting you must be in OSX with
placement of folders and files and the wording of titles .

Thanks guys,
Ian Tucker