Editing on a modified Pismo...

Nicolas Kinnan nasw at pcmagic.net
Mon Sep 8 04:26:52 PDT 2003

Howdy all,

I am looking about for a less expensive way to edit DV portably (than,
say, a TiBook) and I was wondering if anyone out there has any advice
on the viability of, say, a G3 powerbook ("Pismo"), upgraded with
something like Powerlogix's 900MHz G3 upgrade.  Would this kind of a
system be a good solution for FCP 2 or 3, as well as iMovie and/or
Premiere?  Naturally, I would add a faster hard drive and max out the
RAM.

Is the Powerlogix upgrade, or any of them for that matter, known to
have any issues with the popular editing programs?

I would assume that the 100MHz bus should be acceptable, esp. as it
would be feeding a 900MHz processor...am I correct here?

Also, would the 8MB of vram be a hinderance to any sort of tricky
complex stuff?

I'm mostly just kicking around ideas right now and I would simply
appreciate input, especially as Pismo 400 prices finally seem to be
creeping down.  It just seems that there are now some real options for
building a reasonably affordable, aesthetically pleasant portable
editor....

Thanks in advance,

Nicolas