[MacDV] iMovie: format and resolution for slide scans

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Mon Sep 8 18:38:56 PDT 2003

GD2 wrote:

>I'm trying to create a stop-animation type of project in iMovie by scanning
>35mm slides of drawings. Just like the old flip-book animation, only each
>drawing is on a slide instead of a page.
>
>My question: what is the best resolution to scan the files, and what's the
>best file format to save them for import into iMovie? The resulting project
>will likely be viewed on TV and screen via DVD.
>
>Thanks -
>Sam

for iMovie 640x480  (72dpi?)  You could make them Tiffs but Jpegs are
good too.
The key is to spend the thirty bucks on QuickTime Pro. Then if you
number your Images sequentially it will load them as an image sequence
and export to a DVStream ready for iMovie.
You probably could just throw the whole lot in the timeline and it might
work but I think iMovie would choke.
Jim