iMovie Titles Using Photoshop

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Tue Sep 9 06:03:13 PDT 2003

On 9/8/03 at 9:13 PM, Scott Wm Eastman <FunnyBoy at netnet.net> transmitted
the following electronic message:

>Hello!
>
>I'm new to the list but have a question regarding a project I'm
>working on.
>
>I've just started working in iMovie (for a commercial video project)
>and figured it was gonna be a no-brainer to create title screens in
>photoshop and bring them in to iMovie... Well, I was right about how
>easy it was... I didn't foresee having difficutly with the
>resolution.
>
>I created a RGB graphic in photoshop (2560 x 1920 @ 150 dpi), but it
>gets horribly pixelated in iMovie...
>
>Has anyone ever created titling images in photoshop for an iMovie
>project? If so.... What were the dimensions / resolution settings you
>used?

640x480, 72dpi is what is recommended. You're also going to want to make
sure that you use an NTSC-compatible color palette.

Photoshop's "New" document dialog provides a number of video presets.
The problem is that iMovie wants 640x480 and does the conversion from
square pixels to rectangular pixels itself (getting you to the NTSC
720x480 DV resolution).

--Dennis Cohen
  Mac Digital Photography (Sept 2003)
  iLife Bible