iMovie 3 and Image Resolution

William Hofius wjh at mac.com
Tue Sep 9 17:47:05 PDT 2003

First, as others have said, iMovie uses the pixel dimensions of 640 x
480 with a resolution of 72 dpi. You can make your images with a larger
pixel dimension, but the key to remember is keep the ratio 4:3.

Second, regarding pixilation, well, this is a natural phenomenon and it
should not worry you too much. iMovie, along with other video editing
programs such as Final Cut Express have to convert the de-interlaced
computer image into an interlaced video image (or is it the other way
around?). As a result, the crisp and clear computer created Photoshop
image looks pixelated and blocky in the iMovie preview window.
Displayed on a television monitor the image is fine.

(I was going nuts because I had spent all of this time creating the
perfect image in Photoshop only to have it look like pixelated crap in
Final Cut Express. Someone suggested I try previewing my FCE project on
a television monitor. I did so and the images looked great on the
television.)