[MacDV] Re: QuickTime Options

Mark.Florida markflo at mac.com
Sat Sep 13 20:18:45 PDT 2003

On Saturday, September 13, 2003, at 10:22  AM, James Asherman wrote:

> yes 320x240 sorensen3. on a music video you are going to want to tweak
> the music too.
> Jim

Actually, the audio may be making the biggest difference in this case
-- when exporting using one of the presets, it's probably compressing
the audio, but when doing a "custom" export it's not.  5 min. of
uncompressed stereo audio @ 16 bits/44khz will be about 50 MB.  The
best compromise I've found is to use IMA 4:1 compression at 22khz
sampling rate -- this will shrink the audio size to about 1/8 of the
original size, while retaining pretty much of the sound quality (you
could go mono to save even more space, but being a music video and all,
I'd think you'd want to keep the stereo sound).

But then again, the MPEG-4 movie should have been *much* smaller as
well, assuming the audio was compressed in the process.

One question -- were you exporting these files to the same hard drive?
Is it formated for Mac OS Standard or Extended?

- Mark