[MacDV] Re: A big difference between the two

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Sun Sep 14 18:45:39 PDT 2003

Toast 6 changes everything discussed below. Do it with Toast 6.

On Sunday, September 14, 2003, at 03:24  PM, Patty Winter wrote:

>> From: czayachkowski at shaw.ca
>>
>> Toast on a whole is a LOT cheaper than DVD Studio Pro but it does a
>> lot
>> more than burning. It is DVD Authouring where is Toast just does a
>> direct burn. DVD Studio Pro has the ability to make your DVD look
>> professional with all the graphical elements and motion titles.
>
> Right, which is why I'm hoping I can find a friend who has DVDSP and
> visit long enough to slap some user interface elements onto my iMovie
> files, encode them, then take the resulting file(s) home and burn the
> DVDs at my leisure from my own Mac.
>
> Of course, none of this would be necessary if iDVD didn't have a hard
> 90-minute limit; the tapes I'm trying to back up are just a bit longer
> than that! I know that Erica and some others have discussed manually
> tweaking the iDVD project file to trick it into encoding at a rate
> that would allow more than 90 minutes to fit on a disc, but I don't
> recall seeing mention of anyone actually trying that. If it's possible
> and the results are good, then I'd do that. Otherwise, I need DVDSP.
>
> What we *really* need is a "prosumer" version of DVDSP, so that we'd
> have iDVD, new product, DVDSP just as the editing world has iMovie,
> FCE, and FCP.
>

> Patty
kunga10 (AIM) Can't Add New Buddies iChat Maxed Out Cube 500 Jaguar
10.2.6
kungax (AIM) Can Add Buddies iMac 350 no FW Panther Pre-Release
kungag5 (AIM) dual 2 G5 Panther Release (coming soon)
kunga47 (Yahoo Messenger with Cross-Platform dial-up video sans audio
on Macs)