[MacDV] Re: Any real-world difference between -R and +R?

Gerhard gerhardk at mac.com
Wed Sep 17 19:11:50 PDT 2003

New DVD players and ROM drives play both, the trouble comes with some
older models that don't support writeable media.  The -R standard is
older so it stands to reason that it was adopted earlier to be
compatible with set top players.  In general the future compatibility
will likely be the same for both.
The original poster noted that it was not possible to play +R media on a
Mac, I have not found this to be the case.
When choosing a drive for the Mac platform +R ability is not very
important to us since most of our software will not support it, as far
as I know only Toast 6 will write to these drives.  If a drive that
supports both costs very little more buy it just in case but I would not
make it feature that would make or break a buying decision.

Gerhard Kuhn
suspice at hay.net