Any real-world difference between -R and +R?

Dr. M. Burek mrwitch at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Sep 18 07:52:26 PDT 2003

I'd like to thank everyone who responded. Looks to me like:

-R/-RW is the way to go & I don't have to strain myself looking for a
drive that does it all
There is really no difference between -R and +R other than format
+R CAN be used on a Mac, but -R is a much better idea

As my PeeCee's DVD drives are somewhat older (I have a newish Samsung
and an old Matshita which replaced my really picky Toshiba), and my
Father's set-top is a old Oritron, I'm not gonna press my luck trying
+R. Although I am thinking about getting a new set-top for him that will
play everything I can throw at it. My local Wal-Mart has an Apex player
that DVDRHelp.com says will play almost everything, and for only $43.97!
Saw it just yesterday.

Looks like a Pioneer DVR-104/105/106 burner or something similar would
be a good investment for my Mac, too.

Thanks again everyone...  feel free to continue sending me reports of
good media for burning. Prefer media that's available in stores
primarily, that's MOST compatible, and somewhat cheap.

Michael