[MacDV] Removing audio distortion?

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Thu Sep 18 11:55:13 PDT 2003

On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 04:28  PM, Sean W.Gallagher wrote:

> I'm editing a speech that was shot with two cameras and the audio from
> the speech came directly from the speaker's microphone into camera
> one, but it's slightly distorted. I tried using the audio from camera
> two (which is perfect), but the cameraman cut the camera at a crucial
> point in the speech. Is there a way to remove the distortion from the
> audio? I have Peak DV, but I don't know how to use it. I'm editing in
> FCP3, but I can't figure out what filter would do this if any. Any
> help would be appreciated.
>
> -Sean

Removing distortion is almost impossible.
You could try the audio filter eq and try to zero in on the offensive
frequencies and cut them.
Then you would need to maybe use a compressor limiter to smooth it put
and regain the gain lost to the eq, but all of that is liable to make
it sound like crap as much as it is to fix it. Luckily FCP is non
destructive.
Jim