[MacDV] Panasonic AG-EZ50

Selander Timothy selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Sun Sep 21 06:23:28 PDT 2003

> I am considering "taking the next step" - the purchase of a 3-chip
> camera. I am using a Quicksilver, dual 1K, Mac with FCP 4 and burning
> to DVD. I  currently have a Canon ZR-45mc. I like to shoot in 16:9. Has
> anyone had any experience with the Panasonic AG-EZ50?

If I'm keeping my memories straight, I believe my DJ100 is the Japanese
version of the AG-EZ50. It's a nice 3 chipper with 1/3" ccds, great
picture. Have used its footage on air many times. Flip out screen is
only 2.5", so a little small. Stabilization is electronic, not optical,
so it's useless -- degrades the picture if you use it. Have never used
the 16:9 mode. But it's quite an old camera -- four or five years old.
Are they still selling it new in the US?

The next model, MX3000, is a great camera, but was never sold in the US.
I also wound recommmend the MX5000 (something or other 953 in the US)
over the EZ50. Smaller chips, so slightly less low light performance.
But very, very nice pics and nice optical stabilization.

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan