[MacDV] $2500 grant - what to buy??

Neil Poese npoese at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 24 17:53:32 PDT 2003

I have a couple of thoughts...

If the kids are older teenagers, and you have them for a year, then you have
a fairly stable working group. If the group producing the show is fairly
small, then it seems that you should be able to manage production on one
emac. In fact, if you have two, you'd still have to import whatever clips
are produced on one onto the machine with the master. Which leads to another
point.  For an ambitious project like a one hour doc, are you planning on
using FCP or perhaps Premiere 6.5? iMovie is a really great program, but it
isn't designed to handle long-format.

Is there the possibility of playback on local cable or such? A higher-res
camera would make a difference there, but have you considered the rest of
the equipment you'll need, such as a decent tripod, good mics, a light, etc.
before you finish budgeting?

At 13 gigs per hour, you'll need to strategize regarding how you'll manage
your footage. Will you import, edit and then dump the unused video? With
amateur shooters, your shooting ratio can get pretty high, so you'll need as
much storage as you can afford. Have you considered external drives, or
would you use the internal?

Given the run time and subject matter, I'm guessing that you'll have some
fairly long "oral history" type clips of vets recollecting their
experiences, so once the camera starts rolling on an oral history interview,
you can end up with a lot of footage.  :-)

And, good luck with your project!

Neil Poese
Digital Media Studies
Palmer High School