[MacDV] Re: mini-disc import

Dmytro Koval'ov dmytro.kovalov at nikkocitigroup.com
Thu Sep 25 18:16:28 PDT 2003

  +> These are analog inputs I believe? I have a Sony MD but what
  +> I was wondering is there a way to import the digital signal
  +> directly?

  Beverly> expensive non-portable-type unit. All the consumer MDs (IIRC,
  Beverly> owing to some idea about keeping piracy down) lack digital
  Beverly> outs. Rather a pain for those of us who are trying to use
  Beverly> them to copy our own performances of our own music.

MD won't allow to make copy through digital interface. There's a special
bit set on MD which disallow this. This bit indicates, that record is
copied. It is indeed made for preventing piracy.

All consumer MD set this bit when they write. I am not sure whether they
make distinction as to set/or not to set bit dependent on how do you
write your MD -- through digital input or through analog. I doubt they
do. But for sure if MD is written through digital input, there's no way
to make copy of it via digital output.

--Dmytro