Update: FCP, Mac Email, Viruses, and Norten

animal animal at cuug.ab.ca
Wed Apr 7 12:38:00 PDT 2004

Though everyone keeps telling me PC viruses cannot damage a mac, I had
to completely erase and re-update software on my Emac after opening a
PC infected attachment.  I'm never opening another attachment!

Anyways, FCP seems to be working fine again, along with the previously
troubled hard drives.

HOWEVER - I'm now discovering that several large companies we deal with
now process all mac originated emails as attachments and none of our
emails are readable by these companies.  I believe this is because
their PC computer people are sharp enough to realize that macs can
spread PC viruses.

I don't know about you, but we cannot afford NOT to have our email
readable.  Plus I don't want to spread viruses to people - especially
potential clients!

UNLESS NORTEN and MAC does something to prevent this, I will be forced
into using a PC for internet access.  I don't really understand how
antivirus software works on a Mac but why can't Norten Antivirus also
watch out for and fix PC viruses - especially when they buggered this
Emac?  Is it just laziness?  This is starting to give Mac a bad name
among PC users who catch a virus via a Mac.

Lynn

PS:
  The same person sent me an email yesterday - with another infected
attachment and my system went weird again - erased all the emails in my
box.  So far the Emac is working.  I just hope I don't have to recopy
the hard drive again.  Norten recognizes the email as uninfected.