MISCREANTS TARGET MAC OS X

Fabian Ius Fabian_Ius at edu.yorku.ca
Sun Apr 11 19:07:38 PDT 2004

MISCREANTS TARGET MAC OS X
      Mac owners have long enjoyed a blissfully virus-free existence, but
Apple's foray into digital music may have changed all that. A Trojan
horse,
dubbed MP3Concept or MP3Virus.gen, has wormed its way into circulation,
masquerading as an MP3 file. "This is the first native Mac OS virus we've
found," says Brian Davis, a sales manager for Intego, a Mac security firm
that discovered the problem. The Trojan is benign, according to Intego.
"This is likely a test Trojan showing these things are possible. There's
definitely an open door we don't want to leave open," says Davis. The
Trojan hides in ID tags of an MP3 file and is activated when clicked on by
unwary users who think it's a music file. It then proceeds to access files
in the System folder, and although it doesn't go beyond accessing at this
point, Intego warns that it easily could be modified to perform more
destructive acts, such as deleting files or hijacking a machine. The
sudden
appearance of the Trojan is attributable to Apple's higher profile, thanks
to the growing popularity of its iTunes digital music store, says Davis:
"Given Apple's previous market share, OS X wasn't a challenge. As Apple
becomes more visible, it's more of an attractive target."
 (Wired.com 9 Apr 2004)
http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,63000,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2