[MacDV] Re: Happy Easter all!

illovox at comcast.net illovox at comcast.net
Sun Apr 11 20:41:19 PDT 2004

on 4/11/04 3:12 PM, Erica Sadun at erica at mindspring.com wrote:

>>> if Jesus was a Jew, why, oh why, the Spanish name?
>>
>> Maybe he was Sephardic? Well, that can't be because there were no Sephardic
>> Jews at the time...not yet.
>
> Yes, there were.
>
> Sephardim predate Christianity in Spain and Italy.
>
> There's even a synagogue at Herculaneum.

You are right...even headstones discovered 3rd Century BCE.  When was the
Synagogue at Herculaneum established?  Oldest synagogue in Western Europe I
know of was in Ostia, a port of Rome, around 100AD.  It was excavated in
1961.  All neither here nor there.  He wasn't called "Jesus" in his day, and
given that and the fact that there were Spanish Jews, we are both saying
that the argument asserting he wasn't because of the Spanish name is
fatuous.

>> Oh, and at the time Y'shua walked the Earth, in Hebrew (or Aramaic, whatever
>> you want to call it) God was referred to as both male AND female names,
>
> By then Hebrew was mostly a liturgical language and Aramaic was
> the common tongue.

Similarities are so pervasive that the issue is moot.  Particularly in
regard to the names.

> Not touching the theological issues, -- Erica

In Hebrew and Aramaic, the name of God changes gender all over the place.
Renders the Trinity a rather patriarchal invention, arguably.

Anybody know what digital techniques Gibson used in "The Passion"?

Looks like the film is about to become the 5th highest US grossing film of
all time.  Amazing.