[MacDV] Re: Happy Easter all!

illovox at comcast.net illovox at comcast.net
Mon Apr 12 14:31:23 PDT 2004

>> Y'shua ben Y'seph...it means Joshua, son (or child) of Joseph
>
> There are actually vowels there... Yeshua and Yosef.
> You don't have to apostrophize. The germanic Y sound
> for J makes that Jeshua or Jessua and Josef or Joseph.
>
> Bar is simply the aramaic equivalent of the hebrew ben.
> (e.g. the Bar Kochba revolt).
>
> Just as a final note, many Jews violently dislike the
> use of Yeshua for Jesus. It's emblematic of the
> "Jews for Jesus" and "Hebrew Christians" movements
> that attempt to convert ignorant and assimilated Jews
> by telling them that you can be Christian without giving
> up Judaism.

Cool, didn't know that about Aramaic.  Is that the case in Arabic?

The vowels in Aramaic and Hebrew are actually not letters but indicia and
function almost like musical notes or punctuations...so using apostrophes
and the like is not unusual.

Yup, 'dem Hebrew Christians are a tricky lot.

Okay...enough...time go back to taxes...think I can write off my cable
subscription since all I watch is SciFi as...ahem...a study of what the
digital industry is up to?  Ahem....