[MacDV] Re: Converting VHS Videos to DVD's

Gregg Gorrie ggorrie at telus.net
Tue Apr 13 20:36:57 PDT 2004

on 4/13/04 4:35 PM, R B Williams at brucewll at comcast.net wrote:

> This sync issue happens if the DV camera is
> recording 12 bit audio AND/OR the recording
> speed is LP. It shouldn't be an issue at all
> when you use 16 bit audio & SP recording
> speed in camera. I have literally hundreds of
> mini-dv dubs from S-VHS, Hi-8, or Beta sources.

I checked and double-checked - the DV camcorder was setup to do 48Khz/16
bit, not 32Khz/12 bit, and I verified the tapes after recording. It's
possible this is an issue specific to Digital 8mm camcorders - I don't know,
but I pulled out a lot of hair trying to figure it out.

> FYI - Even though I have a canopus converter,
> I often move to DV first so that all of the
> "original" footage has timecode on an
> archival tape. That allows you to log and
> capture in FCP without filling up a hard
> drive with junk.

I agree, which is why I export my material captured with iMovie back to FCP
and then output to the DV camcorder - once the tape is logged (using time
code) batch capture is the easiest way to import what you want. And DV tape
is still the most inexpensive backup for the footage as well.

--
Gregg