[MacDV] Re: iMovie / iDVD pixelation & noise

Fabian Ius Fabian_Ius at edu.yorku.ca
Sun Apr 18 06:57:39 PDT 2004

pwintink at ab.bluecross.ca writes:

>burned a couple more DVDs and there was no background noise; the photos
>are
>still a bit rough and the sound fluctuates a bit, but my group thought it
>was ok. However, the client saw it yesterday and isn't satisfied with the
>quality. We're using a new state-of-the-art LCD projector, so the
>equipment
>isn't the problem.

one, of many problems, is due to the fact that DVD is compressed and you
are watching it from a projector...

If you try to watch a DVD on a large screen, pixelization occurs = not a
good idea...

If you want to view your "movie" using a projector, try to play it from
tape, first choice would be DV CAM, then miniDV, then D8, then VHS tape...

try it for yourself...

and let me know if you see a difference...

An acquaintance put together a video presentation using drum-scanned
artwork (FCP & DVDSP) and tried to watch it from the DVD using a
"state-of-the-art" LCD projector and it looked crappy...

but when played from DV CAM tape, looked specatcular on a very large
screen...

Check out his multimedia presentation...
www.twoartists.ca

The First Probe...
http://www.twoartists.ca/html/exhibit.html

Micomicon Dissolve...
http://www.twoartists.ca/html/dvd.html

If you are in the Toronto area, drop by and enjoy the sights and sounds of
Robert Vanderhorst and Nash the Slash...