[MacDV] Re: I Wish I Had Known...

illovox at comcast.net illovox at comcast.net
Mon Apr 19 15:12:04 PDT 2004

on 4/19/04 7:57 AM, Mark M. Florida at markf at squareblue.com wrote:

> I'd say the 1st gen. G4 sucks less than the last-gen. G4s, and they suck WAY
> less than the QuickSilver G4s (don't know about the G5 though), here's a
> short, quick G4 comparison:
>
> 1st Gen G4 (AGP)     QuickSilver G4     MDD G4 (latest)
> processor
> upgradeable?      YES!                  YES!                NO!
>
> memory slots    4 (2 GB max.)      3 (1.5 GB max.)      4 (2 GB max.)
>
> analog audio
> input             YES                    NO                 YES
>
> So, for longevity value, the 1st gen. G4s win -- more memory slots,
> upgradeable processor (which rival performance of new G4s with equivalent
> clock speed), and analog audio inputs (for those quick and dirty audio
> captures you need to do, and for just more audio I/O flexibility).
>
> 2 cents.

And another 2:

"PowerLogix priming 'MDD' Power Mac upgrades - PowerLogix may become the
first third-party hardware developer to release a G5 upgrade for Apple's
'Mirror Drive Door' (MDD) Power Mac G4 models, anonymous sources told
AppleInsider on Monday. According to the source, members of the company's
research and development division have been analyzing the details of such an
engineering effort"

"Giga Designs G-Celerator G4 1.4GHz CPU Upgrade - Typical of the new breed
of upgrade cards is Giga Designs' G-Celerator 1.4GHz G4 CPU upgrade. It will
fit in any Power Mac G4 equipped with AGP graphics, which counts out the
very first G4 Power Macs, but all others, up to and including the
Quicksilver 2002, are supported by one of two G-Celerator options. We've
tested the GC5A-1400-D2/A, which caters for any Power Mac with a 100MHz
system bus. As well as a faster processor, the card has 2Mb of Level 3 cache
and is fully Mac OS X 10.3-compatible. There's a matching card for 133MHz
bus machines that does the same job for slightly more money"