[MacDV] Re: I Wish I Had Known...

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Tue Apr 20 09:10:48 PDT 2004

On 4/19/04 10:51 PM, James Asherman at jimash at optonline.net wrote:

> Well the audiio thing bugs me but I have a protools system in the other
> room and I can use my media converter but only with FCP ( which is
> good) , or get a USB thing.
> Roland has one hell of a USB thing ( reviewed in Guitar Player tested
> w/ garageband)
> Does the whole thing audio and midi and mics and everything.
> Still it is pain . This one also has speach recognition but no mic
> input. It is odd.
> Still pretty and quiet with the owc chip in .

I have an M-Audio 4-in/4-out audio card that I use for recording music, but
having that extra no-hassle analog input is just nice to have for
flexibility (even if it's not as good as the M-Audio card) -- like to
monitor external audio sources in a pinch.  It's just silly that for a few
revs of the G4 line they left out the analog audio in -- it was there, then
it was gone, then it was back???  Someone realized they made a mistake when
they got all these support calls like "I just spent $3,000 on a brand-new
Apple Power Macintosh G4 and there's no audio input???  There used to be,
right?  Why'd you take it out?  Did it really save you that much money in
production costs?  Oh, OS X (10.0) has problems with the analog audio input?
THAT makes sense...  Cripple the hardware to make the buggy OS happy...
Wait, I have to spend more money on a third-party audio input device?  How
about you throw that in with the order since I already paid so much for the
computer?"

(I'm really not *THAT* stressed about the whole analog input thing, it just
MAKES NO FRIGGIN' SENSE -- it seems like just another one of those senseless
dictatorial mandates proclaimed by His Steveness)

:-\

- Mark