[MacDV] Re: I Wish I Had Known...

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Tue Apr 20 09:18:49 PDT 2004

On 4/20/04 1:14 AM, Zane H. Healy at healyzh at aracnet.com wrote:

> I'm pretty sure the speed was 400/450/500 on the 1st Gen, I believe
> the 350/400/450 was actually the *second* generation!  I know for a
> fact the mid-range 1st Gen G4 was the 450Mhz, as I have one.  The
> downside is, it can't take the dual processor upgrades, however, I
> have put a 4x AGP ATI 9000 Pro in mine.

No, at first Apple *ANNOUNCED* them at 400/450/500, but there were
production problems with the 500s, so they dropped the speed across the
entire line by 50 MHz to 350/400/450 -- those that ordered 400s and 450s
right away got their machines, those that ordered 500s got 450s instead for
the same price.  Then a few months later after they got the glitches out of
the production line, they released the G4s at the speed that they had
*ORIGINALLY* been announced.  :-O  Make sense?

> BTW, I'm pretty sure the max RAM is 1.5GB, not the 2GB that someone mentioned.

They can support 2 GB -- always have.  The 1.5 GB limitation was in Mac OS 9
-- that's all the memory OS 9 will recognize, and you could only allocate 1
GB to any one application.

- Mark