[MacDV] Re type for FCP HD 4.5

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Tue Apr 27 15:30:41 PDT 2004

What kind of effects? If you are looking to do some kind of FCP HD 4.5
effect (ripples, etc.) then a Photoshop Bitmap file would work fine, as
it will be treated as an HD video frame which can be effected AS video,
including fades and what not. Use targa format to get the most
compatible color space between the programs.

More sophisticated stuff (3D objects with animated moving glints and
such) are another matter... and could STILL be done in Photoshop (in a
limited fashion) but with much tedium, frame by frame.

Live Type does some very neat stuff, and might also be of service.
We've done some stereoscopic (for shutter glasses and anaglyph) titles
in Live Type which have been stunning in that the 2D material "fills
out," or so to speak, nicely in 3D.

1080i to film, though, is not necessarily best case, neither for HD
space requirement nor for the eventual transfer. 24 frames per second
would make life better in this instance, if only for the easier time
you'd have in distribution to foreign markets which do not use 60/59.94
Hz.

Further, if the impetus to go to film is for festival purposes, many
festivals project HD currently. The fact you COULD go to film from HD
is well known by potential distributors, and showing in HD would have
advantages as to presentation to such people. Plus, you could spend the
transfer money on a better soundtrack should it be allocated.

If your project is stemming from a consumer HD system, like the JVC,
which uses tremendous compression in the source footage, then your
issues multiply... I would recommend against a film transfer of such
material... stick to video.

Well, that's my 2 cents...

Best of luck on your project,

Richard Brown