8mm film to DV transfer - revisited

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Tue Aug 3 13:10:59 PDT 2004

Hello,

I've looked through the archives and I see there is plenty of information regarding Do-It-Yourself 8mm film to DV transfer using a white card, multiple speed projector and an adjustable shutterspeed DV Camcorder.

Unfortunately, I do not have the projector, the camera (will borrow one when the time comes to transfer to harddrive) or the time.

My question is: has anyone used any of the service bureaus out there in internetland (or your local shops) to transfer 8mm film to miniDV tape?

Specifically, if you used a local shop, what equipment did they use? Were you satisfied with the results? Is there flicker in the transferred footage? How much did you pay per 50' roll?

If you used an internet service bureau which one did you use? Were you satisfied with the results? How much did you pay per 50' roll? Do you know which equipment they used?

My local shop uses an Elmo unit. I've heard some unflattering stuff about Elmo's yet my local guy says he transfers 500,000ft a year with it and no one complains.

Does anyone have any transfer experience with moviestuff.tv, posthouse.com, film-to-video.com or homemoviedepot.com? Are there any others that stand out?

TIA
--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com