Digital8-Fix or not--MacDV Digest #3551

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Wed Aug 4 09:26:37 PDT 2004

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA

Mark,

Compare the features of your D8 camcorder to the one you found at Best
Buy.

If your broken one has more features (probably cost more) and the video
looks as good or better (which might due to a bigger imaging CCD on
your older camera) then spend the money to get it fixed.

Many older D8 camcorders have more features than the just two models
Sony currently offers, so your flexibility in a new camera is limited,
compared to what used to be available.

When you take it in, take in several of the tapes you've recorded (8mm,
Hi8 and D8), and have the repair shop align the tape path to match
those.  Use something that isn't a critical tape... that if it's lost
or damaged won't be your wedding or something as important.

I had to do a head replacement and more to my TRV-520, but didn't
remember to take the tape in.  When I got it back, it wouldn't properly
play back tapes I'd previously recorded with it.

Also, if the shop didn't get it aligned right, don't try to re-align
the path yourself.  Make the shop do it to your satisfaction.

One slip of a tool can wipe out the spinning heads, and you're back to
where you were.

Ted.