[MacDV] FCP--Using Variable Speed--Not easy.

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Wed Aug 4 12:09:09 PDT 2004

On Wednesday, August 4, 2004, at 02:23  PM, Ted Langdell wrote:

> Ted Langdell
> Ted Langdell Creative Broadcast Services
> Marysville, CA
>

> Does anyone have a simple explanation for how to use the variable
> speed feature of Final Cut Pro?
>
> It's not exactly intuitive, like most other things about FCP.
>
> When I've tried to use the feature, the clip ends up jumping to
> somewhere else within the captured clip, among other less than amusing
> things.
>
> Ted.

The variable speed is weird. It seems to vary the speed up and down
across the clip and keep the total clip time the same. So if you speed
up the end the biginning slows down or vice  versa. I too have had some
trouble lately with Slo-mo.
  Sometimes I select a clip , slow the speed and either it just makes
the clip longer
or as you said jumps to some other place altogether.
  This seems to be related to the timecode and reels, because it does
not happen consistently.
Also sometimes I slow a clip right at the end and the canvas goes
orange and won't come back. At that point you have to move the cursor
back to a normal clip and close and reopen the sequence, which can lose
some work, but if you save it screwed up it wants to stay that way.
  So I too have been getting some strange speed related probs and just
work around them.
Jim