[MacDV] 3-CCD camera systems...

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Fri Aug 13 09:04:18 PDT 2004

Great new price ($1879) on the Panasonic AG-DVX100a at Royal Camera:
http://royalcamera.com/panag2.html. This is kind of in the GL-2 price
range and is like comparing an old VHS camcorder (Canon) to a CineAlta
(Panasonic) in many ways. What's most important: a new hack (not cheap,
but awesome) is coming for the DVX-100a which shatters the DV spec with
4:4:4 recording at 12 bits onto Firewire 800 drives (DV stops at 4:1:1
at 8 bits) Thus may be born a serious revolution. If the hack works out
as expected the DVX100a will outperform almost all video standards
currently used in terms of robust, professional color depth, meaning an
interesting new world for serious effects shooting will open up, not to
mention far better transfers to film (given the DVCAM 8 bit, PD150
shot, film transferred "Open Water" now in theaters.)

Additionally I have worked extensively with the XL1 and XL1s from Canon
on a feature shot with same. After that experience, I will not even
look at a Canon video product again. It's all about non-standard audio
and its effect on post, as well as lagging image quality (limitations
of .25 inch CCD's.)  I own both the PD150 and the DVX100a, and their
images (and SYNC sound recording) put the XL1 and things Canon to
shame. Another way to put it: I would not cut XL1 footage into Beta SP
footage, but easily do so with PD150 footage (DVCAM video, a step up
from MiniDV in some respects) as no one sees the change in camera (it's
all Sony, so there is a family thing going on...)

The issue boils down to this: thinking of the GL-2 puts you in the
parking lot of the video stadium. XL1, XL1s puts you at the ticket
counter.  DVX100a, PD150 or PD170 puts you on the field, playing the
game. And should that hack work out (I've seen samples) the DVX is the
only game in town short of multiplying you investment by 30.

That said, you could save yourself money ($1299) on a TiBook 667 at
http://www.dvwarehouse.com/product_info.php/cPath/253_53_128_553/
products_id/2007, and then consider the Panasonic DVX-100a and get in
the game.

Richard Brown
www.go2rba.com