[MacDV] Mpeg file conversion with toast 6 crashes

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Mon Dec 20 06:23:20 PST 2004

On Dec 18, 2004, at 6:31 AM, Frank Farwell wrote:

> Im converting a file that ends in mpeg, that is a mpeg2 file to burn
> with toast 6 Ti.
> It crashes in the prepping process after about 5 minutes, any ideas,
> thing to try?

The only times I've had problems is the occasional time Toast would
seem to "hang" on a file -the progress bar stopped progressing. I don't
think I've ever had it crash. A couple things to try though.

Do you have plenty of space on your hard drive for the converted files?
Toast usually warns you if you don't have enough but its not always
very accurate in determining how much space it actually needs.

Is it always crashing at the same point in the file? That may indicate
a corrupt file. Does the file play OK all the way through?

If the file is OK, we're back to looking for a problem with either the
application or the operating system. Try deleting all the Toast
preferences, etc and try again.

You might also want to try creating a new user (doesn't need to be an
admin user) and trying it there. If you're like me you've installed a
lot of "junk" in your main account and that can sometimes cause
trouble. Depending on the computer, I've found it can work quite well
to have Toast running in one account while I use Fast User Switching to
do stuff in my primary account.

Hope something in there helps.

-Mike