[MacDV] Mini Disk

darrell takecare at telus.net
Tue Dec 21 21:14:28 PST 2004

I shoot a lot of weddings and I always use a mini disk. I throw a lapel
mic on the groom
and tuck the recorder into the groom's jacket pocket and record the
whole ceremony. It's
funny to record 45-60 minutes of audio when I only ever use the wedding
vow portion
of the recording. To me having the clear distinctive wedding vow audio
is priceless.

Mini disc allows you to add markers as you listen so finding what you need
is very easy. It is true that MD uses compression but it is not
noticeable with the spoken word.
Especially when you have the ambient audio track from the camera mic as
background sound.

I just run an analog line to my Delta 66 audio card and record into
Cubase. After adjusting the
EQ I upsample the audio in Peak and import it into FCP.

I can't say how convenient this procedure is and I recommend it. Of
course I haven't had anyone drop
or walk off with my $500 mini disc player. I would recommend anyone
buying a MD to check out the
available features. I had to spend $500 a couple of years ago to buy a
recorder that had adjustable in/out
levels. The cheaper ones at the time only had auto levels.

Keep up the great ideas...

darrell padlesky
edmonton