[MacDV] iDVD archives - backing things up?

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Thu Dec 23 17:36:20 PST 2004

On Thursday, December 23, 2004, at 07:35  PM, revDAVE wrote:

>  I have successfully created some DVD's using iDVD. I would like to be
> able
> to create more copies at a future date ... So I thought it would be
> best to
> attempt to archive the iDVD projects and store them on DVD (not
> taking up
> needed space on my hard drive). I successfully created an archive of
> the 1st
> one -  but it ended up being 12 gigabytes...  Obviously storing all the
> relevant pieces inside the archive file...
>
>  this large file is way too large for me to bother backing up... I was
> under
> the impression that after loading a large DV.mov in iDVD then it goes
> through a long process compressing it somehow down to DVD size - under
> 4.7
> gig... This is the file size that I would like to backup...
>
> Q:  what is the best way to back up iDVD projects without bothering to
> store
> the very large multi gigabyte files...? Is this possible?

iDVD uses, and appropriates  your DV files and saves them as part of
the project.
iDVD will not save a project without the original files.
Big Pain.
You have two choices. In the future your best bet is to make an extra
DVD right after the first one, when the project is still "hot" and will
burn in whatever time your burner is rated for.
Second choice is to use Toast or disc copy to copy your DVD, back to
your hard drive wher it will be a normal DVD size file. You can jam a
lot of them on a Hard drive.
Jim