[MacDV] Re: Converting VHS/8MM collections to DVD--MacDV Digest, Vol 5, Issue 13

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Mon Dec 27 13:43:32 PST 2004

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA
Main:  	(530) 741-1212

WT...

You asked about the EASIEST way to convert your collections.

Your use of the word "collection" causes me to visualize at least a
good sized bookcase filled with VHS and 8MM tapes.

Easiest: Go buy a DVD recorder, and transfer directly to DVD. The cost
is not very expensive anymore (relative to what they used to cost), and
you'll get the job done a WHOLE LOT FATSTER WITH A LOT LESS WORK.

If you burn directly to DVD, your job's done in real-time, with a
little more for finalizing the disk.

A DVD recorder with hard drive would allow you to record to the HD and
then split, trim, add file names, etc, before creating a playlist and
burning what's on the list to DVD.  That could help organization of
what's on specific disks.

I'd recommend NOT using your computer to convert to DVD, UNLESS you
need/want to do serious editing before burning, or add fancy menus and
specific chapter markers.

As you know, iDVD will take quite a while to compress and then burn a
disk.

I don't think you want to tie up your computer or your time for the
amount of time it would take to do hours and hours of transfers.

One way of cutting the cost is to look for a customer return at one of
the box stores... like Best Buy, etc.

A year or so ago, I got my Panasonic DMR-HS2  with Hard Drive (MSRP at
the time around $1000) for $499 at Best Buy because it was an open box
customer return.  Still have full warranty, and the only thing missing
was the manual... which I downloaded as a PDF file from the Panasonic
website.

I DID plug it in, hook it up to a monitor and test that it played and
recorded to and from the hard drive using off-air.  (Makes a great
replacement for a VHS deck to time-shift programs, AND you can save
them to DVD)

The next week or so might be a good time to hit the stores, because
some of these DVD recorders will be coming back.

Hope this is helpful.

Ted.