[MacDV] Applying for my first production grant

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Wed Feb 11 09:19:35 PST 2004

Sorry for the late response on this thread,

I've received two grants from the London Arts Council for photography projects
and my advice would be to start small. Apply for a grant from your local
municipality if they fund such projects. I think most meduim sized cities in
the province have arts support of some kind. But I agree with one of the other
people who responded who said you should produce something on your own first to
show any funding agency you are serious and have artistic merit. Once you have
a few projects under your belt then you can think about applying to larger
agencies like the Ontario Arts Council/Trillium/Canada Council etc...For an
Ontario Arts Council grant you will need to show them a substantial body of
previous work and have prepared a thorough budget and statement of artistic
direction. Sucessfully completing smaller projects for other agencies will show
them also that you can be trusted to produce what you say and that you will
spend the public's money wisely.

all the best

Richard