New to list: Questions about DV components

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Tue Feb 24 23:13:22 PST 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:46:41 -0800 (PST), Paul Miller
<pauljosephmiller at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>Wow...I'm increasingly happy(email by email) that I
>joined this list!  I had considered the possible
>purchase of El Gato Eye TV usb (even though it
>wouldn't run on OS9) so I would have the option of
>broadcast recording--then I found out it's analog
>cable, not digital (more digital channels in my area).
>  I had NOT considered using a DV camera as a
>passthru/comverter..SMART IDEA!! It helps very much to
>justify the cost and migrate away from analog/vhs
>altogether!  So I have to ask now (and again, I'm
>sorry to bug everyone) in terms of importing dv video:
>if I use iMovie with the camera I can pull the .dv
>file via import function, but when using it as a dv
>converter does it function in realtime via iMovie or
>quicktime (for conversion?) or does it use a specific
>os9 vs osX program?...or am I missing the boat here?

You should be able to import directly into iMovie. Basically, the DV
camcorder outputs Firewire just like it would if you were recording
live from the camcorder on the Mac.

With my Canon ZR 40, there is a menu setting in the camera that puts
it into pass-through mode. I remove any tape that might be in the
camcorder (or just leave the tape door open). I flip the
Camera/Off/Play(VCR) switch to Play(VCR). With iMovie running in
camera mode, I start playing the VHS VCR that is attached to the
camcorder input, and when the video appears in the iMovie window, I
click iMovie's Import button.

Other DV camcorders may operate differently, so YMMV.

BTW, I believe that Costco currently is selling the ZR 60 (basically
an improved version of the ZR 40) for somewhere around $375. There
are Canon ZR 80/85/90 models, but I understand that they are missing
some of the features of the ZR 60/65/70 series.

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>