[MacDV] Re: Can't save iMovie 3.03 Projects

Peter van der Linden pvdl at afu.com
Fri Jan 2 15:29:10 PST 2004

On Jan 2, 2004, at 2:34 PM, Carlton Kelly wrote:

> the iMovie Project File is created at Project creation (as it should
> be), but is never successfully updated by the iMovie Application. It
> always contains 0 bytes.

If you can create the empty file OK, then it is probably not a
permissions problem.
It indicates that all the directories in the path are accessible to you.
Just to be sure, after the project file is created, and before writing
to it, in a terminal window do:

        chmod 777 your-file
        ls -l  your-file

where "your-file" is the file in question.
The "ls" should show you as the owner of the file, and permissions of
"rwxrwxrwx"

Are you trying to do something as a different user to the one who owns
that directory?

You could try running the iMovie process under ktrace, and look to see
if any of the system calls fail, particularly write.  Look for lines
like this:
   6000 find     CALL  write(0x1,0xd000,0x14)
   6000 find     GIO   fd 1 wrote 20 bytes
        "./frompc/work/a.exe
        "
   6000 find     RET   write 20/0x14

but with an error indication, i.e. the Generic I/O (GIO) asked it to
write non-zero number of bytes, and the RET showed it wrote zero.
man ktrace, man kdump has more info on this utility.

I don't really know what the problem is, but ktrace will tell you what
the app is trying to do.

     Peter