A junky pic of scooter-cam...

Ryan Sutter ryan at ryansutter.net
Fri Jan 2 21:27:52 PST 2004

I used my son's lousy digital camera to snap a picture of the
scooter-cam just to show what it is and what it does.  I put the pic on
my nucleargopher.com website at:

http://www.nucleargopher.com/images/scooter-cam.jpg

Sorry for the terrible image quality.  Both of my good cameras are out
of state with my wife right now.  Anyhow, as you might be able to tell
by the picture the concept is simple.  Instead of you holding your
camera and transmitting all your arm and body movements to it, the
camera is on a post that has a counterweight at the bottom.  This
counterweight keeps the camera steady and level.  You hold on to the
handle which moves freely up and down in and around.  If your arm moves
up, down, left or right, the camera stays steady.  If your bodies
movements move the handle, but that doesn't stop the camera from
staying nice and stationary.  I can literally hold this by the handle
and twist my wrist and lift my arm up and down and even jump a little
the camera doesn't move in any appreciable amount.  Of course if you
overweight or underweight the bottom than the whole thing can get a
little swingy (maybe not a word, but you know what I mean...).  So, the
weights need to be adjustable in both position and quantity.  For more
information and to compare the scooter-cam to the real thing, check out
the Glidecam 2000 website:

http://www.glidecam.com/2000pro.html

I'll put plans and all that together as soon as I can.  I knew I was
excited about this but I didn't realize how excited everybody else
would be.  :-)

Ryan Sutter